Breath of Fresh Air
‘Breath of Fresh Air is a unique partnership seeking ways of leaving a legacy from the 2012 games in green spaces across the East Midlands. We want to see green spaces used by their communities for culture, education, appreciating nature, volunteering and health benefits, but most of all to enjoy them together.’
Chair of BoFA
Ignite! are delighted to be a part of this very exciting and unique partnership that develops and promotes a programme of environmentally focused cultural events and activities across the East Midlands to celebrate the Olympics and Paralympics. By bringing together the natural environment, our local communities and culture, Breath of Fresh Air links directly to the Cultural Olympiad, and it puts the ‘green’ into London 2012, creating a long-lasting legacy that we all can enjoy.
The Breath of Fresh Air partners will host a series of cultural activities to promote appreciation of the environment and raise health and well-being. The events are designed to enhance and celebrate our local green-spaces, nature reserves, allotments, parks, heritage sites and woodlands.
In line with London 2012 and the Cultural Olympiad we want to:
- Encourage and welcome involvement from communities across the East Midlands;
- Leave a lasting legacy that improves the cultural life of local communities;
- Showcase excellence in the performing arts and creative industries as well as sport;
- Introduce young people to the UK’s many artistic communities and those from around the world;
- Promote the East Midlands as a region vibrant with cultural activity;
- Heighten economic regeneration and encourage tourism in the UK through the work of the cultural and creative industries;
- Honour and share the Olympic values of ‘excellence, respect and friendship’ and the Paralympic vision to ‘empower, achieve, and inspire’;
- Promote environmental action and improve health and well being through culture, sport and exercise;
- Create unique collaborations and innovations between communities and cultural sectors.
Ignite! primarily focuses on the arts and culture element of BoFA
‘Ignite! is delighted to be leading the arts programme for Breath of Fresh Air because it illustrates our commitment to revealing the creative links between art, landscape and local communities. Creativity is a powerful tool for making society and community celebrations.’
Director of Programmes for Ignite!
The arts programme develops the cultural and community element of Breath of Fresh Air; enhancing the living landscape through the development of artworks with strong community involvement and ownership.
Eight artists and practitioners enthused by the objectives of Breath of Fresh Air will devise artworks and workshops specific to the locations and communities at host sites across the region. Visitors and local groups will be invited to appreciate these sites as sources of inspiration.
‘Breath of Fresh Air and the artists involved will produce some outstanding work which will be enjoyed by a vast number of communities and individuals throughout the region.’